Before we went to Greece we took a class on Greek cooking at Sur La Table. It was a great class and we learned how to make 4 dishes. This is our favorite one. It is really easy to make and the flavor is great.
Greek Style Shrimp
- 2lbs medium size shrimp, rinsed peeled and deveined
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1 onion coarsely chopped
- 3 or 4 garlic cloves, chopped or pressed
- 2/3 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 14oz can of crushed or diced tomatoes (crushed creates a thicked sauce)
- 1 teaspoon tomato paste
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1 teaspoon fresh or dried oregano
- 1/2 – 3/4 lb. crumbled feta cheese
- Pat shrimp dry and sprinkle with lemon juice, set aside
- In a large skiller, heat oil over a medium heat. Add the onions and garlic and saute for 3 minutes.
- Add canned tomatoes, tomato paste, ground pepper, wine oregano, parsley and 1/2 cup of water and mix well. Bring to a boil and then reduce heat to a simmer. Cover and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 20 to 30 minutes. Add more water if needed to thin sauce.
- Preheat oven to 375F. Lightly butter a baking dish and place some the sauce on the bottom. Place shrimp in the dish, cover with remaining sauce, and sprinkle with feta cheese.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until shrimp are done and feta starts to melt.
- Serve with rice or crusty bread.