Poached chicken is one of the most versatile things you can have sitting around in the fridge. Mix with a sauce and toss it in a sandwich. Add some dressing and place it on a salad. Throw it with some pasta and your done!
Chicken Caesar Salad, Chicken quesadillas, Vietnamese chicken saladâ€¦ Done, Done and Done!
I love making a large batch of poached chicken in the beginning of the week. It gives me tons of dinner and lunch options through out the week. The basic recipe for poaching chicken is below, but you can easily spice it up. Add rosemary, a bay leaf and oregano for Mediterranean chicken. Add some Chile powder and Tabasco for some spicy fun. Kick up the flavor by cooking the breast in chicken broth instead of water. You get the idea. Just remember to always add salt to the water. Also, instead of boneless chicken breast you can also use split, bone-in, skin on breastsâ€¦ or if you are feeling bold, chicken thighs. The bone-in cuts might need an extra 5 minutes of simmering.
- Chicken (Boneless chicken breast, split chicken breast or chicken thighs)
- Liquid (Water, broth, and/or wine)
- Flavorings (rosemary, bay leaf, thyme, oregano, lemon zest, ginger, garlic, celery, onions, carrotsâ€¦ etc)
- Place chicken in pan.
- Add enough of the liquid to cover the chicken.
- Add salt and flavorings.
- Bring the liquid to a boil and then reduce to a simmer.
- Simmer for two minutes, longer for bone-in pieces (~5 additional minutes)
- Remove pan from heat and cover.
- Let sit for 30 minutes.
- Place chicken in container, cover with liquid and refrigerate.