Cold grain salads are a perfect side dish in the summer. They are light and refreshing. Quinoa is a grain grown in the Andes and is a staple there. It is packed with good stuff! You can add it plain, but it taste great dressed up in this salad. It would be perfect side for some grilled chicken.
Quinoa Salad with Citrus Dressing
- 1 cup quinoa
- 6 tbs olive oil
- juice & zest of 2 limes
- juice of 1 large orange
- 2 fresh green chilies, seeded and finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed or pressed
- 1/2 cucumber, peeled
- 1 large tomato, seeded and cubed
- 4 spring onions (scallions), sliced
- 2 tbs chopped fresh mint
- 2 tbs chopped fresh flat leaf parsley
- Put the quinoa in a sieve (strainer), rinse thoroughly under cold water, then tip into a large pan. Pour in cold water to cover and bring to the boil. Lower the heat and simmer for 10 – 12 minutes, until tender. Drain and leave to cool.
- Make a dressing by whisking the oil with the citrus juices. Stir in the chilies and garlic and season with salt.
- Cut the cucumber in half lengthways and, using a teaspoon, scoop out and discard the seeds. Cut into 5mm/Â¼in slices and add to the cooled quinoa with the tomato, spring onions and herbs. Toss well to combine.
- Pour the dressing over the salad and toss again until well mixed. Check the seasoning and serve.