According to WordPress, this is the 300th post on Cookography.Â It is also been about 5 years since we started food blogging, first on applyheat.com which fold into the much better titled, cookography. Since we are hitting these milestones and also starting a new year, I thought it would be a good time to pause and looking at where Cookography has been and get your advice on where we should go.
Where we are
Cookogaphy may not be the worlds most popular recipe site, but we are getting a decent amount of traffic. Right now we have one post driving lots of traffic to the site. Other posts get lots of traffic, but do not even come close to comparing to the French Onion soup post. Here is the crazy thing… I have no idea why it is so popular. My guess is that the Title is sort of fun: “The Best French Onion Soup (Ever!)”. For a while it was even the number 1 or 2 result in Google for French Onion Soup., but has dropped recently.
I am not complaining about the posts popularity, but it would be great if things were a little more balanced. Cookography’s traffic ends up being seasonal, based upon when it is French Onion soup weather. Have other bloggers had something similar or do you have more equality between posts? Any thoughts on how to highlight other posts better?
For the most part, the majority of our posts are on recipes we have tried. We don’t really have a cool angle or a type of dish we focus on; instead we just try to document the food we cook. The result is more organic, but lacks a focus.
I am looking to switch things up a bit and it would be great to get input from you guys on what we should do. Any hints or thoughts you can offer on any of these topics would be really helpful. The payoff? … a better Cookography!
- Types of Post – Right now we mostly post recipes and the recipes are sort of randomly selected. Should we try to find an angle or narrow our focus? Should we be doing more posts on cooking technique, equipment review, food trends, dining reviews or ingredients? Would you like to see more posts on food blogging itself; such as tutorials on food photography or blogging software?
- Layout – The design for Cookography.com hasn’t changed in a while. Should we do an overhaul? Is the Text readable, too big or small? Do you like the size of the photos, should they be bigger? Is it tough to find things? Do you want an easier way to find recipes? How would you feel about another Ad?
- Posts – So what do you think of the writing? Do you hate our terrible grammar/spelling? What do you think of the text before the recipe? Would you like to have a story about why we chose the recipe, tips on cooking the recipe and/or ourÂ thoughts on how it came out? Do we have to much or too little writing in each post? Do we have too many photos, not enough?
- Comments – We don’t seem to get many comments… why is that? Are the posts not engaging? Is there something technical that makes it a hassle?Â Is there something we should change about the design or layout that would make you want to post more? Should we be replying to more comments?
- Open Mic – Also feel free to tells us other thing that are not working. Anything you want changed or added? Let us know!
Please leave a comment and let us know what you think! Also, feel free to tell us we are awesome and don’t need to change a thing :)