This is a quick and easy recipe for eggplant Parmesan “light.” It’s light because it’s not coated in breadcrumbs and fried, not that there’s anything wrong with that. It’s quick and easy because all you have to do is stack the ingredients and pop it in the oven. We topped ours with a little homemade pesto.
This recipe works best after salting the eggplant, ridding the eggplant of bitter juices.
- 1 large eggplant
- 3-4 tomatoes
- 8 ounces mozzarella cheese
- Cut the eggplant into round slices, at least 1/4″ thick.
- Toss the eggplant with 3 teaspoons Kosher salt. Transfer to a large colander set over a bowl. Let sit for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Spread eggplant on a triple layer of paper towels. Cover with another triple layer of paper towels and press firmly on each slice to remove as much liquid as possible. Wipe off excess salt.
- Spray baking sheet with Pam, place eggplant on baking sheet. Drizzle or brush each slice with olive oil and sprinkle with salt.
- Slice the tomatoes into 1/4″ thick rounds and place on top of eggplant. Try to match eggplant size to tomato size.
- Top each stack with breadcrumbs, then top with mozzarella cheese.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes, until cheese starts to bubble and brown.