Roasted Tomato and Pasta SoupIngredients:
- 1 pound ripe Italian plum tomatoes, halved lengthwise
- 1 large red bell pepper, quartered lengthwise and seeded
- 1 large red onion, quartered lengthwise
- 2 garlic cloves, unpeeled
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 1/4 quarts vegetable stock or water
- a good pinch of sugar
- scant 1 cup small pasta shapes, such as elbow macaroni
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- fresh basil leaves, to garnish
- Heat oven to 375 degrees. Spread out tomatoes, red pepper, onion, and garlic in a roasting pan and drizzle with the olive oil. Roast for 30-40 minutes until the vegetables are soft and charred, stirring and turning them halfway through.
- Tip the vegetables into a food processor, add about 1 cup of the stock or water, and process until pureed. Scrape into a strainer placed over a large saucepan and press the puree through into the pan. [Alternatively, you can use a food mill.]
- Add the remaining stock or water, sugar, salt and pepper to taste. Bring to a boil. [We also added a little sherry vinegar, which added some depth to the soup.]
- Add the pasta and simmer for 7 to 8 minutes, or according to the directions on the package, stirring frequently, until al dente. Taste and adjust the seasoning with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Serve hot, garnished with the fresh basil leaves.