Citrusy Lamb BarbacoaIngredients:
- 1 boneless leg of lamb (roughly 3-5 pounds)
- 6 cloves of garlic, peeled
- 1/2 red onion, roughly chopped
- 1 cup cilantro (roughly half a bunch)
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- Zest and juice from two limes
- 2 chipotle peppers, plus adobe sauce from can
- 2 cups chicken broth
Alternate Crockpot Directions
- Preheat oven to 250 F and adjust rack to the lower middle portion of the oven.
- Cut the lamb into 2 inch pieces, removing any large portions of fat. There is no need to remove all of the fat, it will render during the cooking.
- In a food processor or blender, add all of the other ingredients, except the chicken broth, and blend until combined. If you don't have either, simply finely chop all of the dry ingredients.
- Add the lamb and blended ingredients to a dutch oven. Add the chicken broth until it just covers the lamb. Depending on the size of your pot, you may need to add a little water.
- Cover the dutch oven and place it in your warmed oven. Cook for 4 hours or until the lamb is tender and can be separated with a fork.
- Remove the lamb from the cooking liquid and transfer to a baking sheet. After letting it cool for 5 minutes, use two forks to shred the lamb. When finished place in a serving bowl.
- If you have a gravy separator, pour the cooking liquid into it. If not, try to spoon any fat off of the cooking liquid. Slowly add some of the "defatted" cooking liquid back into the shredded lamb until it stops holding it.
- Keep the lamb warm and serve with tortillas and your choice of taco toppings.
- Instead of using an dutch oven, cook the lamb in a crockpot. Cook it on High for 4 hours or until the lamb is tender. If it begins to rapidly boil, turn the crockpot down to low or warm.