- 3 to 4 lbs of peeled, cored, and quartered apples. (If you are using a food mill, you don't need to peel)
- 4 strips of lemon peel - use a vegetable peeler to strip 4 lengths
- Juice of one lemon, about 3-4 Tbsp
- 3 inches of cinnamon stick
- 1/4 cup of dark brown sugar
- up to 1/4 cup of white sugar
- 1 cup of water
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- Put all ingredients into a large pot. Cover. Bring to boil. Lower heat and simmer for 20-30 minutes.
- Remove from heat. Remove cinnamon sticks and lemon peels. Mash with potato masher.